I can hardly believe Memorial Day is almost here. This year is flying by, but I’m not complaining if it means summer is around the corner! Lately here in Virginia, the rain has been incessant but I’m hopeful the worst of it is almost over and sunny skies are soon here to stay (fingers crossed). Late spring/early summer is the best….windows open, breeze flowing into the house, spending more time outdoors, weekend beach trips, and of course barbecues! In honor of Memorial Day I’m bringing you a classic summertime appetizer with a slight twist: Loaded Guacamole! As if guacamole wasn’t delicious enough as is, I’m adding just a couple ingredients to amp it up. And let me tell you, I’m not sure I’ll ever make plain guacamole again 🙂 Make it this weekend, and everyone will thank you for it!
And while we’re talking about Memorial Day, I’d be remiss if I didn’t stop to remind everyone (including myself) what this day is about: the brave men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice of giving up their lives while serving this great country we call home. U-S-A! U-S-A!
Now, onto our regularly scheduled programming…..
Start by frying the bacon in a pan (or baking if that’s your preference).
A good guacamole has to start with quality Haas avocados, so make sure you pick some good ripe ones! Slice them in half, remove the pits, then spoon into a bowl. Mash coarsely, keeping some big pieces in tact.
Add the red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
Gently combine. Then add the magic: chopped bacon and crumbled queso fresco. If you like more of an intense/sharp cheese, you can also used cotija cheese.
Gently combine again, then spoon into a serving bowl. Top with a little more cheese and bacon, because it’s CHEESE AND BACON.
Serve with your favorite tortilla chips and voila! Creamy, crunchy goodness for all to enjoy. (Warning: do not make this too far ahead of time or else you’ll eat most of it by yourself. Not that I know from experience or anything.)
- 4 haas avocados
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- Juice from 2 1/2 - 3 limes, to your liking
- Dash of kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 4-6 oz bacon, chopped
- 2 oz queso fresco, crumbled
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Start by frying the bacon in a pan (or baking if that's your preference).
- While the bacon cooks, prep the veggies: dice the red onion, chop the cilantro, remove the seeds from the jalapeno and dice.
- Make sure to flip the bacon when ready. Put on paper towels to drain when cooked, then roughly chop.
- Slice each avocado in half. Remove the pits, then spoon into a large bowl. Mash coarsely, keeping some big chunks in tact.
- Add the red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper to the avocado. Gently combine.
- Then add chopped bacon and crumble in queso fresco. Gently stir to combine.
- Spoon the guacamole into a serving bowl, top with a little more cheese and bacon, and serve with your tortilla chips.
- Note: if you like more of an intense/sharp cheese, you can also used cotija cheese.