It’s snowing in DC again! As pretty as it is, I really am ready for Spring. The cold and I are NOT friends. I always joke with Ryan, my husband, that although I was born in Pennsylvania, at heart I’m a “tropical people” 🙂 But if I have to go through another snowfall then I’ll just drown my sorrows in something warm, hearty, savory, and comforting like this Slow Cooker Beef Brisket! In this New Year’s Day post I alluded to an indulgent New Year’s Eve dinner, complete with all the fixins. But at the heart of the meal was an incredible Beef Brisket made by Brent, the husband of one of my best friends. Let me take a step back by saying that Ryan is a self-proclaimed BBQ connoisseur. Whether that’s true or not, the point is we eat a lot of BBQ and meat….like a LOT of it. So when I say the brisket Brent made was one of the best things I’ve ever had, I’m not saying that lightly. It was perfectly seasoned, incredibly tender, and yet so simple. After Ryan took his first bite, he turned to me with a look of euphoria, and I immediately knew what he was trying to communicate through his eyes: “When can you make this for me??”
So I recently took a stab at recreating Brent’s awesome brisket, but went the slow cooker route because I’m all about making life easier. And this recipe really could not be easier. It takes 5-10 minutes to prep, then let the slow cooker do its thing.
Start by mixing all the spices together in one bowl. Rub the entire brisket with spice mixture until completely covered on all sides.
Mince the garlic cloves and cut up the onions into big cubes (doesn’t need to be precise). Add only the onions to the bottom of the slow cooker.
Put the beef on top of the onions, fat side up. It’s important to put the fatty side up – as the meat cooks and the fat melts, it will drip down and flavor the entire brisket, tenderizing the meat. Mmmmmm….melty fatty goodness…..
Sprinkle minced garlic on top. And that’s it, folks.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Slice and serve with the onions and your favorite rolls for a delicious sandwich. Or just stand over the slow cooker and shovel pieces into your mouth.
- 3-3.5 lbs beef brisket
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Chipotle powder
- 2 onions, cut in large chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Mix together all spices in one bowl. Rub the entire brisket with spice mixture until completely covered on all sides.
- Mince the garlic cloves and cut up the onions into large chunks.
- Add cut up onions to the bottom of the slow cooker. Put the brisket on top of the bed of onions, fat side up.
- Spinkle minced garlic on top of brisket. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Slice and serve with onions and your favorite rolls for a delicious sandwich.
- Leftovers keep very well in the fridge - the longer it sits the more flavorful it gets!