“Well, well, well…..look who it is!”
Nice to see you again. It’s me, Nikki. I know it’s been a while….a solid eighteen months since my last blog post, to be exact. How do I know it’s been that long? Well, because I have an eighteen month old toddler, and he sort of takes up all my spare time now. And given this not-so-brand-new development, much of my cooking time is now dedicated to figuring out what this picky little human being will eat on any given day.
So here we are after a long break from blogging, and I’m bringing you a new recipe for Pumpkin Veggie Muffins, perfect for the toddler (or husband) in your life who refuses to eat vegetables. The first time my kid tried these he ate no less than half a dozen in one sitting. If you think that’s a fluke, my nephew literally ate seven of them in one sitting. So yeah, these are SUPER delicious and you’ll find they make the perfect on-the-go breakfast or snack for you too!
How to make it
Prep all the ingredients. (Tip: to shred the vegetables I highly recommend a food processor – it’s super fast!) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a big bowl add the following ingredients and mix together with a spatula: flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chia seeds.
In a second larger bowl add the wet ingredients and sugars: eggs, pumpkin puree, shredded carrots, shredded zucchini, applesauce, sugar, brown sugar. Mix well using a hand mixer (or a stand mixer).
Add about a quarter of the flour mixture to the wet mixture and carefully mix together with a spatula. Keep adding the flour mixture a quarter at a time until everything is well combined.
Spray your muffin tins with a non-stick cooking spray. You can make these into regular sized muffins or mini muffins. It should make about 24 regular muffins or 72 mini muffins. Fill each cup 3/4 full, then bake for 22-25 minutes. To test if they’re done, put a toothpick in the center of a muffin and it should come out clean.
Fair warning this recipe makes a LOT of muffins, but freeze half for a rainy day and you’ll thank yourself later :)
Pumpkin Veggie Muffins
- 3 cups flour all purpose or whole wheat
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons Chia seeds
- 3 eggs
- 15 oz can pure pumpkin puree
- 2 large carrots peeled & shredded
- 2 large zucchinis peeled & shredded
- 1 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray your muffin tins with a non-stick cooking spray. You can make these into regular sized muffins or mini muffins. It should make about 24 regular muffins of 72 mini muffins.
- Fill each cup 3/4 full, then bake for 22-25 minutes.
- To test if they're done, put a toothpick in the center of a muffin and it should come out clean.